Virgin Hair Maintenance Tips
Get the full benefits of your virgin hair. In order to get the full benefits of your virgin hair maintenance, & care is an important part of maintaining longevity and shine. Keeping your hair extensions in tip-top shape can be very tricky! The key to maintaining your investment starts from the day of receiving your hair/bundles.
- Virgin Hair should be treated as your own hair and cleansed regularly to maintain the health and shine of the hair.
- Once you receive your hair extensions always inspect the hair before installing it. Leave the bundles intact. If there are any issues with the hair you should notice it at this time.
- Always co-wash the hair before you have it installed. This is highly recommended for all 100% virgin hair. This should be done in order to transform the hair from it’s steam-processed state to it’s natural state.
- Do not cut your wefts/tracks. This causes the thread to unravel and create shedding and matting issues. If you must cut your tracks seal the wefts with weft sealer.
- To keep your hair and extensions properly moisturized. You should purchase a good natural oil such as argan oil, to prevent the hair from drying out and also give your hair a nice and healthy glow without weighing your hair down.
- A wide tooth comb and a paddle brush are the best tools to use when detangling your hair. It’s always best to detangle your hair before you wash and/or curl it. Be sure to section your hair off when brushing and detangling.
- Co-washing will add more moisture to your hair. You can co-wash your hair as often as you like. Some shampoos will strip the hair of all it’s moisture and the hair will become dry and tangled. Instead of always shampooing and conditioning, only condition (co-wash) your hair for 15- 30 minutes. The longer you deep condition your hair the softer and luxurious it becomes. Allow your hair to air dry for the best results!
- To avoid frizz never rub your hair with a towel, which can make frizz worse. Instead you should pat your hair dry.
- When coloring your hair extensions, please consult with a licensed professional before any coloring. Some hair colors must be achieved in steps, you may fry your hair extensions if not done properly! Any type of chemical altering strips the cuticle of the hair (at this point your virgin hair is no longer considered virgin hair)
- Heat is your hair biggest enemy. The more you use hot styling tools the shorter the life span of your hair. Use heat in moderation. High temperatures can damage the hair, including permanently altering the hair texture. Always use heat protectant! I highly recommend using flex rods, perm rollers & steam rollers for curling your hair. Not only will your curls last longer but your hair won’t have any heat damage.
- It is important to manage your hair before you go to bed. Tie your hair up at night with a silk/satin scarf or a silk/satin bonnet. For wavy/curly textures I recommend putting 3-5 large twist or braids in your hair then placing it under a scarf or bonnet. For Straight textures I recommend wrapping your hair then placing it under a silk/satin scarf. Following this nightly routine will make your extensions last longer, look better, and prevent tangling which leads to excessive shedding